Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

Work Out: 5/03 or Extra Lap of Awesome

Weekly Monday work out with the Hellgate Road Runners is Hill Loops. 10 times around a .33 mile loop that has a 20% grade on the uphill side. The usual speedsters were all abscent due to the Long Island Marathon the day before, but a new guy had shown up who proved to be way to fast for me. I did maintain second position through the run, several positions closer to first than I have ever been before. The goal with this run was to push myself to run faster before the final lap. I have noticed that I have too much to burn at the end of runs due to not running hard enough in earlier segments. So tonight I started pushing it from the get go. It was beating me down and toward the end I started thinking maybe this will be the run where I push myself to puking. The runners trophy of hard work. I started imagining my fellow Hellgaters gathered around, celebrating my stomach bile and the feat of taking myself past the brink . That Chariots of Fire moment was lost when one team mate started to shoulder her way past me on the downhill segment. I had held on to the second spot for too long and wasn't going to give it. I found another gear and burned down the hill and around for another lap. My stomach turned to ice causing cold gusts of breath to get stuck in my throat. As I turned the final corner heading to my sweet bottle of water I saw that same girl that tried to shoulder past me standing by the start point. Nobody lapped me. Curses! I had run an eleventh lap. Curses because I still had not left enough on the course, until that final lap. The vomit will have to wait for another day.
Hills
10 Laps: 24:46
11 Laps: 26:56
Pace: 7:17 (based on 10 laps)
Splits: 2.25, 2.29, 2.27, 2.28, 2.24, 2.29, 2.29, 2.35, 2.34, 2.21, 2,10 (extra lap)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts about running! Bridges or other such spans that must be explored. Stories or articles to read, workouts to try.

But above all, please leave your own stories and thoughts about running.